Wednesday, September 23, 2015

First Week in NYC!

So this has been awesome so far! To start I will just say that the gift of tongues is real. I have grown so much in spanish this last week and it is not because I am a crazy smart person. jaja. My trainer is Elder Mcbride, he is from Arizona, and he just got done being trained last week so basically he knows a lot more spanish than I do, but he isn't fluent. Soooo it is quite the experience for the both of us everyday to try and understand and converse with people! jaja. The Lord has helped us so much.

So kinda funny story: We are teaching this 20 year old Dominican kid named Victor and he is one of my favorite people ever. He loves me for some reason jaja. We can barely communicate but we bond! He is getting baptized on the 10th of October! But the story is this... So we were teaching him yesterday and we had him say the closing prayer. So he starts the prayer "Heavenly Father" and then I am not exaggerating when I say that there was about a 20 second pause of silence. jaja I peak my eyes open and he is just leaning over to his brother whispering and smiling. They both look at me and we all just kind of start to chuckle. Then hearing the chuckling, my companion peaks as well. Victor sees that and just starts laughing! So we are trying not to laugh obviously and then victor says "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." and we all just bust up! So the entire prayer was just "Dear Heavenly Father. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." jajajajajaja I love Victor. He kinda has a learning disability, so I forgive him but yeah it is just funny! If that prayer was a "sandwich" (like we always describe prayers) it would have been just bread! Funny funny kid.

I have been really blessed to start off in the best area for speaking spanish in the whole mission. I am in the Northern Manhattan zone/Inwood and it is approximately 75% or more spanish speakers! I don't feel like I am in the USA at all! It is nuts. Plus they are all Dominicans basically and let's just say that Dominican spanish is not even close to what they taught me in the MTC! jaja! They mumble a ton and like never say the "s" in their words! I am picking it up little by little though, so it's all good. The other missionaries said that once I can understand a dominican, I can understand anyone that is speaking spanish and with a lot less effort jaja, so that is something to look forward to. 

We tract a lot and my companion makes me give most of the lessons! It is hard, but it has sure helped me grow. That is how life is really. Challenges are the fastest and most effective ways to grow, so I am happy about it! Life is really good here in NYC. The only thing is that everyone seems mad all of the time, so I smile at everyone!!! I am just trying to brighten this city up in any way possible jaja. Little by little. 

I get my ipad on friday and then I will send some pictures next week! Love you all!

Love
Elder Mackintosh

No comments:

Post a Comment